Housing and Residence Life

Residency Requirement

First, second and third-year students are required to live on-campus. Students who live with a parent or legal guardian in one of the following areas may request an exemption from this requirement by submitting the Request for Exemption Form and all required documentation. Forms must be submitted prior to submission of the housing contract for the academic year. Once a housing contract has been signed, exemptions may not be granted.

  • Grafton
  • Hampton
  • Newport News
  • Poquoson
  • Seaford
  • Tabb
  • Yorktown

You may also request a housing exemption for the following reasons:

  • Age: You will be 23 years old prior to September 1.
  • Marriage: You marry prior to or during the housing contract period.
  • Part-time student: You are enrolled in and maintain fewer than 12 credit hours for the semester.
  • Financial reasons: You have exhausted all financial resources and have experienced a significant change in financial resources. To qualify for this exemption you must have a relative in one of the exempted areas noted above with whom you can live.
  • Medical reasons: You have been diagnosed with a medical condition qualifying under the Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines that affects your ability to successfully live on campus, and no alternative reasonable accommodations can be made by the University. You must provide a letter from a medical professional disclosing specific medical issue(s) that affect residential living.
  • Other: You must provide a detailed letter explaining the reason(s) for exemption.
quick edit report a problem